Sunday, June 7, 2009

Fernhill Cemetary - A Walk in the Past


Photograph courtesy of: Jordan McWilliams

Some of you (all 3 of you at least) may have noticed that I did not post yesterday. This was because I was off doing “couplesy things“. Yes, hubby hauled me out from where I have taken root in a cold dank dark corner, mushrooms and moss forming on my north side and dragged me into the sunshine. (no! no! the light - it hurts my eyes!) .

Anyhow hubby being the rabid - no I did not say avid - I said RABID photographer that he is, wanted to tromp around Saint John taking advantage of it’s photographic opportunities and it seems my presence was required for this adventure. I was wary of this for the last time I accompanied him I slipped and fell amongst some rocks and found out what a tidal pool looked like from the bottom up. I laid there in the water for sometime before hubby noticed I was missing and returned for me. But ever the little trooper…..

His choice yesterday was the Fernhill cemetery. Now the last time I was at Fernhill was when I had just moved to Saint John and when on my way to the mall, turned too soon and ended up in the cemetery. Wandered for hours and could not find my way out. Not what I had been planning, but I must say I saved quite a bit of money that day.

Now anyone who has ever taken a trip through Fernhill knows that it is a huge place. I mean if you are going thru Fernhill without following an organized funeral cortège, I suggest you take along a compass, water, extra food and perhaps a flare gun to attract the search party.

I got in trouble from hubby who accused me of not being respectful enough and walking on graves. Yeesh!!! They have been interring people here since 1848 - it was hard not to walk on someone’s grave…

I must say however, I do recommend taking a tour through it. It is a wonderful spot in Saint John, covering acres of beautifully groomed hills and valleys, which wind through some very old gardens and trees. There is even a small brook running down one side of it and the sound of the bubbling water as you walk along the trees and foot paths in tranquility and quite, is relaxing and reflective.

“Resting here are heroes and heroines of two world wars, clergy, poets, politicians, princes, paupers, friends and family.” (taken from the Fernhill Cemetary web-site)

It is almost a museum of sorts. Monuments which themselves are absolute works of art and are never seen these days. Marble sculptures and carvings dotting small rises and valleys. Many of the graves are those of very famous city founders and of course their families and sadly many of their small children, infant mortality being what it was then.

JOHN FREDERICK YOUNG died at 19 years of age on Oct. 13, 1890 and is buried in this here. A public memorial is erected in King's Square to recognize his heroism in giving his life in the rescue of Frederick E. Mundee from drowning in Courtenay Bay. A story of selflessness and heroism which never fails to affect me.

Two Fathers of Confederation, Sir Samuel Leonard Tilley, and William Henry Steeves are buried here. Also, George Frederick Phillips who is one of the very few Canadians to have been awarded the U.S. Congressional Medal of Honor.

Then there is the poignant story of the murder of Maggie Vail and her little one at Black River, and if you want to see the villain's grave site - John Munroe hung for the crime, is buried here as well. For many years following his burial, a white scarf was tied to a nearby tree to mark the spot, but there is no scarf today, so you'll have to look carefully on Snowdrop Path.

William Pugsley whom Pugsley wharf is named after, member of parliament and once Premier of New Brunswick lies under an impressive monument. One of our cats is named Pugsley after the great man himself and now I know where he will be resting when the time comes. (the other cat’s name is Fundy - so its into the bay with him)

We stumbled upon the family plot of the company which hubby works for and I swear that the emotion of that moment would make any employer proud. I even found the grave of the original owner of our home - now I know where to go when I want to complain about our plumbing…

We basically strolled through and found interesting plots and monuments as we went along, however a very useful walking map can be downloaded from their web-site.

Just another wonderful day in Saint John. We have found that even after two years we still manage to discover new and interesting things about this great city.

Til later

3 comments:

  1. good story...beautiful pic...yes we had a good day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. welcome back...great pic

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love your coments on our forfathers...there is prob.family there to..as thats where my great grandfather landed..when they came from irland

    ReplyDelete